About 20% or 1.5 million Quebec residents (2002) obtain their drinking water from groundwater sources.
An overview of groundwater ownership, use, quality and knowledge is
available on the Ministère du Développement durable,
de l’Environnement et des Parcs Water Management in Quebec- Public Consultation Document- Groundwater theme
page. The following additional information is available from the Groundwater
menu tab on that page.
The quality of my well water
- A guide to well testing and interpretation (French)
- Groundwater Catchment Supply and Protection Areas (French)
- Hydrogeological Information System (French)
- The Groundwater Catchment Regulation (French) (English)
- Quebec underground water monitoring network (French)
page discusses the obligations of individual well owners and small
water systems (serving less than 21 persons) for ensuring the quality
and saftey of the water supply. The discussion includes potential
contaminants and water testing.